Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mother's Day Musings

When I was a kid and teenager, I never really did the whole Mother's Day thing.  Once I got to college, I at least tried to send my mom a card on Mother's Day.  As I got even older, I started to realize just how much my mom really meant to me and wanted to express that on Mother's Day, so over the last few years, I've sent her flowers.  I also would send flowers to Tim's mom and grandmothers to say "Happy Mother's Day.  We love you."  I realized that it was important to let the moms in our lives know just how much we cared and that you can never say "I Love You" too many times.

Over the two years that we were trying to get pregnant, Mother's Day was just a tad bittersweet.  I still was sending flowers to our moms, but secretly wishing I had my own child so I could be a mother too.  I just wanted so badly to finally belong to the "mommy club".

Last year, I was 12 weeks pregnant with Brianna on Mother's Day.  We had told our families a few weeks before that day that we were finally going to be parents.  So, on that first Sunday in May, while at a Mother's Day lunch at my sister-in-law's house, I was included in the festivities.  Even though I technically wasn't a mom yet, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law both gave me my first Mother's Day cards.  It was wonderful to finally be on the receiving end and to be full of so much joy.  At the time, I was looking forward to the next Mother's Day, when I *would* have a baby in my arms at the family Mother's Day gathering.

Then the unthinkable happened in August and Brianna died, before she was even really born.  Since her death, I've struggled to see where I fit in.  Am I really a mother, since I never got to parent my baby?  How can I be considered a mom when I don't rock a baby to sleep, I don't get up in the middle of the night to give bottles to a screaming baby, I don't have take her to doctor's appointments and have her vaccinated?  I don't do any of the things a mother is supposed to do because I don't have a live child to care for.

Now, as this Mother's Day is fast approaching, I'm wondering, yet again, am I a mother?  I was pregnant on Mother's Day last year and technically wasn't a mother then, but I was still included.  Everyone believed I'd be bringing home a baby at the end of the pregnancy and therefore I was an expectant mom.  But now?  What am I exactly?  What is the word for a woman who was once pregnant but now has no children?  Am I even still considered a mother?  Will my family even acknowledge it this year?  Will I get cards?  Flowers?  Or will they all think it's too painful for me and just not send anything?  Will I be left out?  Should I be?  Am I only just a daughter this Mother's Day?

2 comments:

Peach said...

You. Are. A. Mother. You are a mother! You are a MOTHER!

What Makes A Mother?

I thought of you and closed my eyes; and prayed to God today.
I asked, "What makes a Mother?", and I know I heard me say....
A Mother has a baby, this we know is true.
But God can you be a Mother, when your baby's not with you?

"Yes you can!", He replied with confidence in his voice.
"I give many women babies, when they leave is not their choice.
Some I send for a lifetime; and others for a day-
And some I send to feel your womb, but there's no need to stay."

"I just don't understand this God, I want my baby here.
"He took a breath and cleared his throat; and then I saw a tear.
I wish I could show you, what your child is doing today.
If you could see your child smile with other kids and say,
"We go to earth to learn our lessons of Love and Life and Fear,
My Mommy Loved me oh so much, I got to come straight here..

I feel so lucky to have a Mom, who had so much love for me.
I learned my lesson very quickly, My mommy set me free.
'I miss my Mommy, oh so much but I visit her each day...
when she goes to sleep, on her pillow's where I lay.

I stroke her hair and kiss her cheek; and whisper in her ear,
"Mommy, don't be sad today, I'm your baby and I'm here.
"So you see my dear sweet one, your child is okay.
Your baby is here in my home; And this is where she'll stay.
She will wait for you with me, until your lesson is through.
And on the day that you come home; she'll be at the gates for you.

So, now you see what makes a Mother,
it's the feeling in your heart.
It's the love you had so much of;
right from the very start.

By Jennifer Wasik

-Love, Peach @ oliviaofmay.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

Thank you so much for participating in the Face of Loss, Faces of Hope May Blog Hop.....we're so honor you shared your blog with us!

I understand your feelings well. I lost my 4.5 month old son in Oct, he was my 1st child, and I struggle daily with the same feelings. It's so hard to feel like a mother when you don't have anyone here to "mother" in the typical way. But I have to constantly remind myself that yes, I am a mother. I gave him everything he needed while he was with us, and I loved him with every fiber of my being from the second that I knew he existed. The way I know you did with Brianna. So while it may be hard to feel like you are mothering, you are. Except now we go on to mother their memories, to tell people their story, to make sure they are never forgotten. Because even though they were here with us for a blink of an eye, they changed us so profoundly. They are significant in every way!

You are most definitely a mother. And a wonderful, loving one at that.

xoxo,
Tiffany