Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Great Gift

"If you know someone who has lost a child, and you're afraid to mention them because you think you might make them sad by reminding them that they died - you're not reminding them.  They didn't forget they died.  What you're reminding them of is that you remembered that they lived, and that is a great gift."
~Elizabeth Edwards

I've seen the above quote a few times since Brianna died.  And every time I read it, I am amazed by how true it rings. As we approach Brianna's one-year birthday/anniversary of her death, that quote seems even more apt.  I wonder if people will remember her.  And if so, will they say something to me?  Or are they afraid to say anything because they're afraid to upset me?  Make me cry?  I wish I could say to all my "real life" friends and family that by mentioning Brianna to me, it makes me happy.  Happy that they remember her.  Happy that she isn't forgotten.  Happy that they realize just how important she was and still is to me.  Yes, I may cry and it may make them uncomfortable.  But not mentioning her is much, much worse than saying her name to me.  Just telling me that they remember her, that her short little life mattered means more to me than I can put into words.

No comments: